Thursday, December 8, 2016

Card #21 - Baltimore Orioles Future Stars


The Card
Here it is friends, the Holy Grail of the 1982 Topps set.  The CAL RIPKEN rookie card!!!

I've mentioned this before, but I am a lifelong Orioles fan.  And though Eddie Murray has always and will always be my very favorite player, Cal Ripken is the undisputed #2 on my list.  I knew going into this project this card would be my white whale, but I forgot it was so early in the set!

The Story
I'm still very much a noob when it comes to modern day collecting, especially when it comes to buying cards online.  So it was with equal parts excitement and trepidation when I made my first COMC.com purchase to secure this Ripken rookie.  The excitement came from the fact I was finally going to own a card I never had before, one that was important to me as an O's fan but that had eluded me for 35 years.  When I did the bulk of my collecting in the late 80's and early 90's, there was no internet to purchase from, and any card show or card shop I saw this in had a price tag that far exceeded my allowance.  So I was pretty pumped to give my credit card number over the interwebs to get Bonner, Schneider, and Ripken in return.

When my package arrived (I was very pleased with how fast and securely COMC delivered it) I was so over the moon I pushed out a tweet about it.  I was finally holding Ripken's rookie card in my own hands!

And then something incredible happened.  I follow a lot of you and the baseball card blogs you write and am always amazed by the generosity fellow collectors demonstrate with each other.  It's so neat to read how a blogger will get a gift of cardboard from a peer across the country.  Then, low and behold, it happened to me!  Scot (@zappa99) shot me a message on Twitter, saying he was enjoying my excitement about the 1982 set and that he wanted to send me a Cal Ripken too.

WHAT!?!?  A card I went over three decades without owning, and now I have two!?

I was absolutely floored by Scot's generosity.  Now I have a Ripken for the '82 binder and my main collection.  I haven't stopped grinning yet.

The Price
I didn't want to spend a fortune on this card, as I've seen cards listed at $80 in superior condition.  I was willing to get one that was roughed up - it kind of feels more authentic that way anyway!  My COMC card was $7.99.  (Scot's was free!)

The Condition
Just as the preview pane and COMC description described, the corners are definitely fuzzy.  It's a tad off-center, but it's fine enough by my cheaper standards.  The one I got for free is in much better shape, which makes me all the more grateful.

The Verdict
Dude.  Dude!  DUUUUUUDDDDEEEE!!!!  I have Cal Ripken's rookie card!!!!  Check that, I HAVE TWO!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. That's cool. I was lucky enough to pull that card from a pack in 1982 -- fairly early in the season if I remember right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Night Owl - what an awesome pull, especially so early in his career... I pulled his 1983 Fleer as a kid, that's as close as I got!

    ReplyDelete