Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Card #19 - Ernie Whitt

The Card
Ladies and gentleman, the greatest catcher in Toronto Blue Jays history...Ernie Whitt!

He never stuck at the big league level until his late 20's, but Whitt was the main man behind the plate for Toronto for the entire decade of the 80's.  You know what else was solid for the Blue Jays during that decade?  The block lettering on their jerseys.  That's good stuff right there.

One of my good buddies in college went to high school with Ernie Whitt's daughter, so basically, me and Ernie are pretty tight.

The Story
Another treasure I discovered in the common's box at my local card shop.

The Price
$0.15

The Condition
I'm sorry, did you say "condition," or "conditioner," because Whitt's hair is on point!  Look at those flowing locks!

The Verdict
How did Whitt only have one All-Star appearance in his career?  He basically had the same season like nine times in a row.  That's an outrage!  That being said, I can't think of a better first Toronto card for the binder than this one.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more about Whitt's hair. I find the featheriness so quaint and wonderful. Saw a lot of that in the 80s. George Brett rocked it too.

    ReplyDelete